VPN - Access Department File Storage
Use the University VPN to securely connect to your department file storage using a 'mapped drive'.
The Oxford VPN services enables you to access your department file storage from your own device (Windows or MacOS).
To do this please contact firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject "VPN Drive Map" and we will send you the necessary details to complete the steps below.
Once you have installed the Cisco VPN software https://help.it.ox.ac.uk/network/vpn/index you can then use the informaton provided via your request (outlined in the step above) to connect to your Depatrtment Share by Mapping a Drive in Mac or Windows as detailed below:
To map a drive in Windows explorer:
- Right click my computer and select map network drive
- Pick a drive letter
- In the folder line type \\filestore.socsci.ox.ac.uk\<enter_user_specific_path_here>
- 'Reconnect at logon' will make the drive map persistent - but note that it will not be able to conect until you run the VPN.
- When prompted for username and password, tick 'Connect using other credentials'.
- In the user-name field type socsci\<Username> - use your Socsci username and password
To map the drive on a Mac
- 'command + K' should bring up the connect to server window
- Type smb://filestore.ox.ac.uk/<folder/folder/etc>
- When prompted for your credentials use socsci\<Username> - your Socsci username and password